Saturday, October 9, 2010

Doom Patrol Meet Batman On The Brave and the Bold

For the most part, I'm ok with not having cable TV.
I mean, there's nothing on cable but shouty right wing blowhards and Law & Order reruns, right?
There is Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
This series, which teams Batman with a different hero or set of heroes each episode, is a wonderfully entertaining tribute to Silver Age DC and masterfully evokes the spirit of the classic comic book series from which it takes its name. It's the only thing that makes me wish I could afford cable, especially since the episode which was scheduled to air last night paired the Caped Crusader with my favorite DC Comics super-team, The Doom Patrol.  
You know, considering that Bob Haney, the writer of the old Brave and the Bold comic, co-created the Doom Patrol, its kind of surprising that this pairing never occurred in that title.  The Doom Patrol did appear in B&B once, teamed with the Flash in the brief era before Batman became the book's star.
Given that Batman: The Brave and the Bold is basically one big animated love letter to the Silver Age of DC, its no surprise that the episode features the original Doom Patrol team of Robotman, Negative Man, and Elasti-Girl, guided by the wheelchair bound genius/madman known as The Chief. 
Not only that, but from the pictures I've seen, they appear to be facing off against one of the Patrol's oddest arch-foes, The Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.  Who would have ever thought he'd show up on TV?
Of all the images that I've seen from the episode, this one is the coolest:
What's cool about it is that it pretty faithfully re-creates one of the most iconic images of the original Doom Patrol, the cover of Doom Patrol #94:
I'm sure I'll get to see this episode eventually, either on YouTube, where clips and even whole episodes from this series have been popping up since the show debuted, or maybe on DVD. (Is the show on DVD yet? And if not, why  the heck not?) Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it and I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun, just as the other episodes I've seen have been.
Now, what I'd really like to see is the Doom Patrol given its own series.  That would be really cool.

2 comments:

  1. The only version of this episode on youtube is a Spanish-language version, which I watched despite not knowing nearly any Spanish. It was still pretty awesome, even though I could only surmise what characters were saying.

    You especially would love this episode, Ray. It makes in-joke references to Dorothy Spinner, Flex Mentallo, Lodestone (in her nude faceless version, no less!) and even Shasta the Living Mountain!

    The Animal-Vegetable-Mineral man does indeed show up, but only in a bit part. The real menace is the Patrol's most famous adversary: the Brain. However, the former's name in Spanish is quite hilarious: El Hombre Mineral Vegetal Animal! The name flows like poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks. Jupiter Florida gutter company

    ReplyDelete