Friday, October 29, 2010

Gutter Talk's 1st Anniversary

So, last October, more than two years after I quit updating my previous blog, The Word From On High, on a regular basis, I got the itch to write again, and what I wanted to write about was comics.  After all, its a time honored cliche that you should "write what you know,"  and, for better or worse, the thing I knew best was comic books.  Well, I also consider myself something of a minor authority on Richard Nixon, since I've read so many books about the man, but I don't think I could have kept up a blog about him for very long.  
Anyway, exactly one year ago today, I began Gutter Talk, by introducing myself and my intentions for this blog to the world.  Since then, this blog has served its intended purpose of allowing me another outlet for both my creative energies and my often odd and offbeat opinions on all matters relating to the sequential arts.
I was disappointed that I couldn't get the URL that I really wanted.  I would have liked to have had simply http://guttertalk.blogspot.com/ as opposed to "guttertalkcomicsblog", because it's "purer," not to mention shorter and easier to remember.  However, I discovered that it was already taken by someone who'd put up just two measly posts and hadn't even bothered to update the thing in over three years. At least I got my second choice and didn't have to waste a lot of time wracking my brain for various other permutations of "gutter talk" that might be free.
At first, I honestly didn't care if anyone was reading, partly because I really didn't think anyone would be.  However, along the way these past twelve months I've picked up a small readership for my rantings.  I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's visited this blog, and most especially those who weren't put off by raving and have come back for more.  I hope you continue to do so.
There are a couple of people I would like to single out.
First, I don't believe that I have publicly thanked, at least not here on this blog, Mr. Max Ink for designing the Gutter Talk logo which began gracing the top of every page of this site way back in February.  So, here goes: Thanks, Max. I really appreciate it.
Then there's Jonathon Riddle, who, in addition to being one of my best friends in the so-called "real world" outside of cyber-space, is one of this blog's most loyal readers and consistant commenters.  He is also, in a way, an unofficial contributor to the blog, in that several of the ideas for posts here have sprung from our many rambling and wide ranging conversations about comics new and old.
That's enough self-congratulation for now. I'm getting tired. After all, its actually pretty hard to type with one hand while patting yourself on the back with the other.
Before I go, however, I do want to take this opportunity to welcome any new readers who are reading this on Open Salon, where I've been reposting Gutter Talk  for about a week now.  I figure it can't hurt to have a few more readers.   Glad to have you aboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment