Monday, February 14, 2011

The Blog of Love

As much as I may try to ignore it, I can not help but be reminded that today is Valentine's Day,which I remain convinced is all a vast conspiracy by the greeting card and candy industries to remind me that I HAVE NO ONE AND NO ONE LOVES ME!!  Except my readers, that is.  You guys love me, right?
Anyway, now that I've gotten the insane ranting portion of this post out of the way, let's get to the point.  Since I wrote about a horror comic on Halloween and spent the whole month of December blathering about Christmas themed comics, you might expect me to write about an old romance comic today.  However, I can't do that, because I don't read them.  I can not truthfully say that I've never read one.  I have.  ONE.  It was a reprint of the very first romance comic, 1947's Young Romance #1. Despite the fact that it was by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, I wasn't terribly impressed.
Although now that I think about, I suppose you could count Tom Beland's True Story, Swear To God as a romance comic.  It's subtitle, after all, is "The True Story of a Real Life Romance."  I've read several issue of that comic and absolutely love it.  However, I really consider it an autobiographical comic.  Besides, when I say I've only read one romance comic, I'm referring to the fictional romance story anthologies that existed from the late 1940's until the 70's.
Anyway, if you really want to read about that type of comic, you're in luck.  There's a whole blog devoted to them.  It's called Sequential Crush and is written by a woman named Jacque Nodell.  Ms. Nodell describes her blog this way, "Sequential Crush is a blog devoted to preserving the memory of romance comic books and the creative teams that published them throughout the 1960s and 1970s."

So, if that's the kind of thing you're into, Sequential Crush is definitely worth checking out. But don't forget to surf on back here to Gutter Talk when you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment